Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day One!

Well I am back from Washington! My trip was amazing! I have seen and done thing I never thought I would get the chance to do.
The first day we stopped at a coal mine is Lackawana, PA. We were running behind because we got held up at the border. We ended up getting to the coal mine at about 3:30 and when we got there I thought that the tour was going to be a movie or some old man talking to us about what it was like to be in a mine, but I was very wrong! When we got there half of us got into a yellow cart that was caged in and was attached to a large cable at the front. I was in the first group of people that went down into the mine, and I sat at the back of the cart so I was able to take pictures. As the cart was moving down the track and man was telling us what to do if something bad happened and i was okay with the idea of going down into a mine until I was hearing the what if's. I tried to take pictures on the way down but it was way to dark and you couldn't see anything.


Once we were down there the tour guide was explaining that we were about 300 feet under the surface and that around us there were gallons and gallons of water. As we continued the tour I started to realize how dangerous it actually was to work down in a coal mine. I was surprised that kids as young as seven would go down into the coal mine and work a ten or twelve hour day.

As I said before pictures were really hard to take down in the mine because the was limited light down in the mine. After we left the coal mine we still had a long time to drive until we got to our first hotel. We stopped for dinner on the way, and me and a group of friends went to a place called Perkin's. It was a little diner and was probably the best meal I had on the entire trip.


Amandaaa:)

3 comments:

  1. Wow so glad to hear you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your are spreading your wings and that you enjoyed your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like it was sooooo cool! I would love it if you could take me there some day. You could be my tour guide.

    ReplyDelete